The best part of having a ‘team’ is the diverse personalities. Each of us has an innate talent that makes us unique and put to good use taking care of business is easy. Even though we are diverse, teaching something new can follow the same steps:
- Show ~ This process begins with my doing the tasks while the trainee watches. This gives an opportunity to see me go through the entire process.
- Coach ~ Now while doing the task the trainee assists in the process and I explain not only how but why the task is done a certain way.
- Monitor ~ The trainee performs the task and I help and correct if necessary. Once the trainee gets the process ask her to explain it.
- Encourage ~ The trainee does the task solo and I make sure through encouraging that she can do it without my help. I stay with her until I see improvement and encourage her to make it her own.
- Teach to Fish ~ In this step it becomes the trainee’s turn to teach another. The best way to learn something is to teach it, plus as I’ve told my team “give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he’ll never go hungry plus he has left overs to share.”
The rock star, alien, doctor and the gamer, in all their diversity bring something special to the team. If you want your team to take responsibility – give it to them. “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.” ~ General George S. Patton