Ways to listen with compassion, understanding and intention:
- Be present and give speaker your full attention. Don’t drift off into your own thoughts.
- Show interest, be generous, encourage the speaker. Make eye contact, nod.
- Listen with your heart as well as your ears.
- Make it safe for the speaker to share her thoughts and feelings.
- Listen to every word without interrupting or wishing to speak yourself.
- When the speaker is finished, acknowledge what you heard without judging or correcting.
“I felt it shelter to speak to you.” ~ Emily Dickinson